Friday, January 2, 2015

Day 2: so how did it go?

Well that didn't go according to plan.

Maybe I need a new rule: on weekends and vacation days everything can be pushed back by up to an hour (but no more.)  I don't want to get off schedule too much, but it isn't realistic to go to sleep at 11 and get up at 7:15 on a day that I don't have to go to work. Reading that, it looks like an excuse. I'll make the limit 11:30, not a full hour later, on non-"school-nights."

That said, I follow the plan and every other respect. I left my phone downstairs, I turned off the TV half an hour before I went to sleep – in this case I watched an old Downton Abbey episode that ended at 11 –I wrote down what I ate, drank, etc. before I went to sleep, and I did whatever I could to facilitate good sleeping – used the Neti pot, and the breathe-right strip. And, I slept pretty well: I fell asleep within about 15 minutes with minimal itching, I had one wake up where I lay in the cold dread for about 15 or 20 minutes thinking about work stuff, and then went back to sleep and woke up pretty easily around 8. Not having the phone by my bed in the morning was very interesting: it left me to my own thoughts and to act with more intentionality right from the get-go. I have a feeling that that is going to be the most profound difference of all – starting the day in my own head, instead of immediately distracted and stimulated by whatever's online. 

One note from my one-day food/drink study: I had no wheat yesterday, and  no alcohol. My stomach didn't bother me last night or this morning, and again, I wonder about a link to that itching (details of which to come in a future post.)

Today's source of exercise will be: walk to the lake with the dog, and/or exercise bike later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment